Day 1-Why I Write about My Health



I started Insulin Junkie three years ago with the intention that writing would be a cathartic thing and to bring awareness to this new challenge I was faced with. On October 8, 2009 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and a thyroid condition called Graves' disease. I was two weeks away from my 27th birthday and my life as I knew it was out the window.

In the hospital I remember just being in complete shock, I couldn't hardly give myself shots, and the tears seemed endless. It was hell and hurt (emotionally more than physically) so so bad. I asked myself, What was my life going to be like from this point forward?! The struggle didn't stop there. There was such a inward battle between my mind and my spiritual self. My quest for answers from God became a mission of mine. I thought maybe, just maybe, documenting it would be a good thing for me.

When I started writing a few weeks after coming home, I did find a measure of release. But I held back some because I couldn't fully tap into the realm of feelings associated with Type 1 Diabetes. I hated everything I already had to do daily with Diabetes that emotionally gnawed at me, even thinking about it beyond what I had to do physically; much less spending time rehashing it out on a blog was hard. Logically a person would ask Why write then, right? Well it was good to at least educate myself, find humor in the midst, share with others the facts, maybe learn some new stuff all while I figure things out. So I blogged on.

I try to look on the brighter side of things, it's where hope and peace reside all centered in faith in my God. I began writing about my life other than Diabetes. Writing about the fulfillment in my life, my children, my Faith, things I am thankful for. Because in reality I didn't want my blog to be just about Diabetes anymore. My life is more than the health obstacle I face everyday.

I don't read blogs about Diabetes, or apart of any diabetes communities. Something about it I don't like and the feeling it gives me. However it is nice to know people who know exactly what it's like dealing with Diabetes from Hades. I stick with  this commitment to blog to learn more and to share with others my story too. It's not easy. I am still figuring out how to share my struggles and triumphs through this.

Diabetes has been tough to tackle head on. I know I am not alone. I am blessed to have my God who supplies all my needs, comforts me, who I believe is The Healer.

People hope for a cure, as I do too but I place all my Faith in the one who IS the Healer. For me that has been my saving Grace through this challenge. Part of where I have landed in this journey is not putting my life's focus on Type 1 Diabetes but the bigger picture. It's good to share because if I can share with just one person Gods love is the hope and strength through anything then I am doing what I was born to do.
So I write about my health, my life, and everything in between. We are all a work in progress and I don't pretend to have it all figured out. I do know, I am refine daily by my Father who is love and makes all things work together for good. I just keep walking one step at a time, keeping my eyes on The Lord, and write on.

Blessings-
Naomi

Comments

  1. Amen! Such an over comer! I love you Nae!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment